Tuesday, December 8, 2009

freelance

I did a freelance project this month. A favorite co-worker of mine moved away a while back, off to Texas to support her husband while he went to grad school. She works at a fair trade company and thought of me when the owners decided they needed to hire a design consultant to help them with their handbag assortment.

The project was fun- I basically dug through a big box of fair trade bags, gave my opinion on them, did a bunch of trend and color research online, and put it all in a cool bound presentation book to send off to them. I only worked on it for about 2 weekends- 8.5 hours total. Not too long, but long enough to remember why I'm not self employed anymore! Plus, finding the motivation to work AFTER work is hard work! work work work!

I had the most fun putting the book together. I didn't want to just staple a bunch of printouts together (I needed to look legit, yo!), so I made a cool cover, used recycled cardboard (actually, file folders that I cut up and resized), made cool tabs dividing the different sections, used rub-on letters and vinyl stick-on letters instead of writing by hand, and made a custom cd-holder on the back cover to hold a cd of all the files of images. I had it bound at Office Max for less than $2.50!

the cover:


the tabs:


the text:




rub on letters for titles:




fold out trend pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment